Nine Things About the Movie Sinister
1. This is one of those "a family moves into a house where a murder occurred and they live to regret it" movies.
2. It's about a true-crime writer that finds a box of home movies in his new attic. The home movies are actually snuff films.
3. The beginning title scene is one of the creepiest movie openings I've ever seen.
4. The movie is pretty predictable, but it's not boring. It goes from one creepy scene to the next without many breaks.
5. The tension is broken because it gets a little silly at times. The dad follows horror-movie logic. However, there are attempts to logically explain why he does what he does. It doesn't always work, but it's nice to see.
6. Given the rather upsetting subject matter of the film, there isn't much actual blood or gore.
7. The home movies are the most disturbing parts of the film. The "Lawn Work" home movie shows the least, but upset me the most.
8. The movie uses the regular ripoffs of "Poltergeist", "The Amityville Horror" and "The Shining". But it gives everything a fresh coat of paint.
9. The soundtrack and sound effects are really well done. The movie provides a great case study for people who pay attention to sound design.