Sunday, June 1, 2014
Maleficent (USA, 2014)
Nine Things about the Movie Maleficent
1. As a kid, my all-time favorite classic Disney villain was Maleficent, from “Sleeping Beauty”. When I heard about this movie, I was pretty intrigued.
2. This movie is a complete reinvention of the fairy tale. Other than a few original elements, this is pretty much a new story.
3. It also gets rid of almost everything I liked about the original Maleficent character. Originally, Maleficent was truly malevolent. In this movie, she has a broken heart, which makes her bitter and childish, but not evil.
4. As a stand-alone movie, it’s pretty good - it’s a simple, imaginative fairy tale. Just don’t compare it to anything else.
5. This is Angelina Jolie’s movie. All the other actors in the film might as well be cardboard when they are on screen with her. She commands your attention and almost pops off the screen.
6. Visually, the movie is beautiful. The special effects are great, and the fairy land called The Moors is mesmerising to watch..
7. There is a nice little commentary on the cliche concept of “love at first sight” and “your true love’s kiss.” That does make it a little predictable, though; halfway through the movie, I knew who would wake Sleeping Beauty up.
8. The climactic battle in the cartoon was just as good, if not better than, the climactic battle in this movie. But this version does have a cool dragon, though.
9. This is a fun, entertaining flick that most people will enjoy. It just left me feeling a little empty - they wasted a chance to make this a truly epic film.