Sunday, June 15, 2014
22 Jump Street [USA, 2014]
Nine Things about the Movie 22 Jump Street
1. In 2012, “21 Jump Street” was released, which was surprisingly funny, and kind of freshened up the buddy cop genre,
2. Here’s “22 Jump Street”. I was afraid this movie would fall victim to the problem that plagues comedy sequels - that the filmmakers only had enough good material for one movie, so that the sequel sucks. But this movie does not have that problem.
3. Channing Tatum returns as Jenko, and Jonah Hill returns as Schmidt, and their bromantic partnership takes them undercover at a college looking for the source of a new synthetic drug.
4. Jenko meets a football player frat guy named Zook, and they immediately hit it off. Jenko’s new bromance (actually, they are lambros) causes Schmidt to feel rejected. He finds solace in dating an art major with a super bitchy roommate.
5. Honestly, there isn’t a lot of thought given to the actual investigation part of the story. It doesn’t make sense and it kind of just repeats the basic plot of the first movie. It’s pretty worthless.
6. Luckily, nobody goes to see the “Jump Street” movies for the plot. The rest of the movie is hilarious. Tatum and Hill have awesome chemistry together. The humor ranges from dumb physical comedy to insightful jabs at society and modern culture.
7. The movie has no problem making fun of itself, and there are some wonderful meta-moments, where characters are speaking in the movie, but you realise that they are actually speaking *about* the movie. There are also various sly jokes in the background that are fun to find.
8. The credits are just as funny as the rest of the movie.
9. Whether you like your comedy smart, or dumb, or a mix of both, you’ll find something to laugh at here. This is a rare comedy that I am willing to pay for in the theater, instead of waiting for Netflix.
Warning: This is the Red Band trailer. NSFW