Saturday, December 28, 2013
Leviathan (USA, 2013)
Nine Things About the Movie Leviathan
1. This is what you would call an “experimental documentary”.
2. It’s about the fishing industry off the coast of New England in America.
3. There is no narration to explain what’s going on.
4. There is no soundtrack other than the sounds of the fishing boat and the ocean.
5. It was filmed by attaching tiny cameras on parts of the fishing boat and on the fishermen.
6. This movie makes fishing look really intimidating and scary.
7. Instead of being a traditional documentary that explains something, this one makes you feel like you are looking at a strange and alien job, full of people you will never understand.
8. There are lots of shots of dead and dying fish.
9. This is not meant for everyone. But it’s an extraordinary, non-linear way to tell a story. It’s one of the more memorable movies of 2013, and one of the more memorable documentaries I've ever seen.