Thursday, December 26, 2013
The Wolf of Wall Street (USA, 2013)
Nine Things About the Movie The Wolf of Wall Street
1. This is a raunchy, foul-mouthed tale of American greed based on the memoirs of Jordan Belfort, a stockbroker convicted of market manipulation.
2. I think this movie contains more drugs, sex, and swearing than all the other movies I saw this year put together. Of course it’s gratuitous – this guy’s whole lifestyle was gratuitous. So it works.
3. This movie is also an acidly funny satire on Wall Street.
4. Leonardo DiCaprio stars as Jordan, a money-hungry young man with more ambition than brains.
5. Jordan hires his knucklehead weed dealer friends to start a small semi-legal stockbroker firm. As they get more successful, they get less legal.
6. DiCaprio has always been an excellent actor – but this may be his best performance ever. And Jonah Hill is also great as the douchebag friend.
7. Jordan’s schemes were complicated and hard to understand for us regular folk, but the movie does a good job of dumbing it down – mostly by telling us that all we need to know is that he’s doing really illegal things.
8. The scene where Jordan overdoses on Quaaludes is a minor masterpiece of physical comedy and is one of the single best scenes of the year. I didn’t know DiCaprio had it in him.
9. The movie is three hours long, so, like the stock market, this movie is an investment of your time. But it’s worth it.