Sunday, December 22, 2013
The Bling Ring (USA, 2013)
Nine Things about The Bling Ring
1. Directed by Sofia Coppola, this is based on a true story that made the news in 2009 (note: This is not the TV movie by the same name).
2. It’s about a group of disaffected, self-absorbed, privileged kids that rob celebrities’ houses while they are gone.
3. This is a stylish, hip black comedy that was better than I expected. As the kids’ capers escalate, so does the visual style of the film.
4. Paris Hilton was robbed by them multiple times in real life, and she makes a cameo in the film. Parts of the movie were filmed in her house - which is beyond description.
5. Emma Watson gives a great performance as a bitchy, drugged-out brat. She has definitely left Hogwarts behind.
6. This movie is basically about rich people robbing richer people, so it’s really hard to feel sorry for anybody.
7. Coppola doesn’t really take a stand on the morality of what happened. She kind of lets the kids give their own interpretation of what they did. This is an interesting choice, but she also loses the opportunity to really dig into the deeper issues, which is kind of disappointing.
8. You still can pull a few lessons from it, such as the eternal truth that kids are always looking for acceptance, no matter how much money their parents make. Cool is relative.
9. In the end, this is a testament to conspicuous consumption, and the idea that no matter how much you have, it’s never enough.