Nine Things about the Movie Big Ass Spider!
1. This enjoyable, ultra-low budget Z-movie is kind of like those movies made for the SyFy Channel, except better.
2. It’s about, well, a big ass spider.
3. A spider eats it’s way out of a dead body at a hospital, and goes on a rampage, growing really fast, making webs, and spitting acid on people.
4. A goofy exterminator named Alex and a Mexican security guard named Jose find themselves competing with the military to find and kill the spider.
5. The movie clearly wasn’t trying to take itself serious. It knows exactly what it is, and revels in it. As proof that the director knows what he was making, Lloyd Kaufman has a cameo (if you don’t know who Lloyd Kaufman is, don’t worry about it. It would take too long to explain).
6. The budget is so low that apparently the director actually cast the film from his Facebook friends. The special effects are pretty bad, except for the spider. I think all the money went to making the spider. It looks pretty cool.
7. It’s also really funny. The main characters, Alex and Jose, have a great chemistry and comic timing.
8. It’s an homage to other monster movies, and you can find references to many other films here.
9. If you are expecting an actual horror monster movie, you will hate this. But if you’re in the mood for a stupid-smart, good-natured monster comedy, then this is something you’ll want to check out.