Monday, January 6, 2014
I Am Love [Italy, 2009]
Nine Things About I Am Love
1. This is an elegant Italian film about a wealthy family that completely implodes over the course of a year.
2. I'm not sure if I actually liked it or not.
3. Tilda Swinton stars as a matriarch that falls in love with someone she shouldn't. Tragedy ensues.
4. The movie does a good job of slowly pulling together various small elements throughout the movie until they crash together at the end.
5. The keyword in the above sentence is "slowly". This film moves at a snail's pace.
6. Taken altogether, this is an character interesting study. Swinton does a great job as someone who knows she should resist her feelings, but just can't.
7. There are some great, almost poetic, individual scenes. And it's an interesting look at the upper middle class from an Italian perspective. The cinematography is wonderful.
8. There are also some scenes that drag things out far longer than they need to.
9. If you like slow melodramas about how passion can simultaneously renew and destroy lives, then you might want to check this out.